A cannabis tincture primarily contains concentrated extracts from the cannabis plant. Most cannabis tinctures are alcohol-based, but they can also be made from glycerin to avoid the intoxicating effects that often result from administering high-proof alcohol.
Interestingly, you can also make cannabis tinctures at home all by yourself. You don’t need a full kitchen to make cannabis tinctures. If you have cannabis, alcohol, a jar, and a strainer, you will be able to make these magical tinctures at the comfort of your home.
When it comes to cannabis tinctures, they can be of two main types, namely THC-infused tinctures and CBD-infused tinctures. While users love THC because of its intoxicating effects, CBD extracts are becoming popular because of the many benefits it has to offer without causing a “high” sensation.
Edible & Topical Tinctures
You can ingest certain cannabis tinctures, while others are meant to be applied on your skin. The difference lies in how the tincture is made. Tinctures that are made from food-grade materials like Everclear, Glycerin, or Bacardi 151, are edible options. However, for making topical tinctures, you are going to need a substance that isn’t safe for consumption, such as
Alcohol or Glycerin?
Alcohol is much better as compared to glycerin for making tinctures. As alcohol bonds better with THC, tinctures that are alcohol-based work faster. The alcohol used in cannabis tinctures has to be high-proof, which can be challenging to find in craft stores. However, Bacardi 151 is pretty easily accessible in most states.
Glycerin is considered to be a plant-based solution that doesn’t result in the intoxicating effects of consuming alcohol. Glycerin can be used for making tinctures, but it isn’t as good as alcohol with regards to bonding with THC. Therefore, you might want to use alcohol instead of glycerin to make the tincture.
Types of Alcohol to Use
If Everclear is accessible to you, you won’t need anything else. Everclear is considered to be an excellent option for making tinctures because it is edible and pure. Bacardi 151 run is also another great option. However, it isn’t as great as Everclear because its bond to THC won’t be as strong.
If you are looking for other options, you can try a super-strong polish alcohol. You may not find it easily in the supermarket, but you can order it online.
Buy Cannabis from Reputed Stores
Once you have the alcohol or glycerin sorted, you need to think about your weed. You need to ensure that the quality of flowers you purchase from the market is high. Reputed dispensaries sell decent quality cannabis flowers. If you don’t feel like stepping out of your home, have them delivered to your doorstep.
If you wish to make CBD tinctures, we would recommend you to try heavenlyhempflower to access a wide range of hemp products. You will also find readymade CBD tinctures on display if you wish to skip the part where you have to make it.
If you are making tinctures from high-proof alcohol, there are a few things you need to keep in mind. As the alcohol will be flammable, you need to take several safety precautions. Let’s take a look at them –
• There should be no open flames in the house. Therefore, you shouldn’t be smoking while you make it. Even the slightest spark can result in a massive fire.
• It would be extremely dangerous for you to try cooking tinctures close to a gas-burner stove. An accidental fire is not uncommon in the presence of a gas stove and alcohol fumes.
• The fumes made from high-proof alcohol can be ignited very easily. Therefore, the area needs to be well-ventilated to ensure that the concentration of the fumes stays low.
• If you follow these three rules, you won’t have trouble making tinctures on your own. However, it is always wise to stay prepared for an accident. You can keep fire extinguishers online or from a hardware store to make sure you can handle an emergency adequately.
Steps for Making Cannabis Tinctures
It is probably the slowest method but is the most popular among cannabis enthusiasts. Due to this reason, it is called the “old-school method”. The best part of using this method is that you won’t require extra materials.
• High-proof alcohol
• Cobalt Blue or Amber Mason Jar
- You need to decarboxylate at least 1oz of cannabis.
- Put your weed inside the mason jar.
- Pour around 300ml high-proof alcohol into the jar. Make sure that the lid is closed tightly.
- Keep the jar in a place that’s dark and cool for around three months. Shake the jar once in a while.
- After three months, you can strain the solution using a coffee filter.
Advantages of Using Cannabis Tinctures
If you are a first-time cannabis consumer, tinctures are a great way to start your journey. Let’s understand why –
• Easy Dosage – You can find the right dose for your body with tinctures very easily. Use an eyedropper to measure the dose. You can increase or decrease it depending on the intensity of the effects.
• Discrete – Smoking weed is a common method of administration, but it has a distinct smell. Therefore, it can be difficult for you to keep appearances in the public if you have smoked a joint. You can avoid this problem very easily with a tincture.
• Quick Onset of Effects – Cannabis has several therapeutic benefits to offer. By using a tincture, you will be able to experience these effects quicker than most edibles.
As you can see, cannabis tinctures are quite handy and easy to make. With a few simple steps, you can make them at home effortlessly.