HELP MAKE HISTORY in one of the fastest growing industries in the world. Leafly is the most trusted brand in cannabis with the largest audience: millions of people around the world start their cannabis journey with Leafly, and it’s because we are not your typical cannabis company. Compliance and innovation are equal parts of Leafly’s DNA. We are shaping the global cannabis industry for the better, accessible to everyone, from the cannabis curious to the everyday consumer, building the world’s destination for everyone to discover, find and buy cannabis.
If you are interested in a rapidly growing, nascent space that requires forward-thinking and continuous innovation to lead, look no further. A career at Leafly combines the excitement and innovation of a start-up with the growth opportunities of a major corporation. Leafly salaries and benefit packages are competitive, and we promise that you will never be bored: we focus relentlessly on solving challenges for our customers and having fun doing it in our collaborative work environment. If you have the skills and desire, you will be joining a global team of innovative, passionate individuals on a revolutionary mission to change the world for the better.
What We Are Looking For In This Role
The Legal team is committed to responsively serving the needs and interests of our clients with professionalism, integrity, and first class legal services. As our Legal Intern, you will work with the legal department in a true Washington start-up on a wide variety of issues in the cannabis industry including: commercial law, intellectual property, licensing, public relations, regulatory and compliance matters, and corporate governance & policies. You will gain invaluable real-world legal experience in a fast-paced, evolving industry by being responsible for key deliverables, managing multiple projects simultaneously, and working with internal business clients. This internship is in Seattle, Washington at our Leafly Headquarters! We are looking for a diligent, creative, efficient, pioneering, productive, industrious, client-centric, collaborative, and results-focused intern to join our team.
This is a great opportunity for part-time legal student looking to get experience.
Here are some of your day-to-day responsibilities:
- Keeping business units up-to-date on developing regulatory changes pertaining to the cannabis industry.
- Effectively perform extensive legal research and analysis (including state-by-state review and matrix creation) pursuant to potential risks and existing cases.
- Provide support to the legal department on projects as needed.
- Understand the company’s mission and strategy and develop an understanding of how the legal & regulatory compliance help business units with strategy and overall goals.
- Assist in development and execution of compliance processes and tracking across the organization.
- Gain practical in-house experience in a variety of disciplines including: trademark, copyright & IP; commercial law; internal policies & procedures; regulatory compliance; and marketing & promotional law.
- Draft and review a wide variety of documents including: service agreements, internal policies, vendor agreements, and content review.
- Currently enrolled and in good standing in Law School
- Must be 21 or over
- 2L & 3L students preferred; 1L consideration with prior work experience in legal environment
- Have prior work experience in legal environment preferred
- Commit at least 15 consistently scheduled hours per week; can work up to 20 hours per week and will have the opportunity to meet any hourly requirements of their university for intern credit programs
- Proficient in Microsoft and Google office suite
- Top-notch legal research skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Creative and analytical skills
- Sound judgment and problem-solving skills
- Excellent time management and organization skills
- Excellent attention to detail and able to prioritize work load. Must be extremely well organized and highly professional in all written and oral communications and interactions.
- Being located in Greater Seattle Area is preferred – but remote applicants will still be considered.
The job description is representative of typical duties and responsibilities for the position and is not all-inclusive. Other duties and responsibilities may be assigned in accordance with business needs. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. A background check will be conducted after a conditional offer of employment is extended.